Names at UNT

There's a lot to know about names at UNT and how they work, but we're here to help! 

Preferred Name at UNT

You can update your first name at UNT without a legal name change using UNT's "Preferred Name" feature. You can learn more about updating using the Preferred Name feature here. Once you've updated your preferred name at UNT you can also update your email address with the Pride Alliance by emailing us and making an appointment. After updating your preferred name you can also get a new student ID card for free. Preferred names don't display everywhere at UNT, so there will be times when your legal name still displays. We're working on a list of those times so you can be as prepared to navigate the situation as possible.

Legal Name

If you would like help updating your legal name, please utilize the walk-in hours at Student Legal Services, where folks will help you complete necessary paperwork and cover the process with you.

At UNT Transcripts and Records, legal name is often referred to as Primary Name. You can read more about that here