Number of Awards: up to 3 | Monetary Award: $1,000
Purpose: This award recognizes the significant achievements of staff members who are active in increasing awareness and education of diversity and inclusion; who take positive steps to create a culture and climate of respect and inclusion for diversity in the workplace and; who value the differences and work to create a more inclusive workplace. Recipients receive an engraved and monetary award.
Nominations will open Wednesday, October 4 and close November 15. Awards will be given at the Staff Appreciation Luncheon at the end of March. The Diversity Award information/nomination form can be found at https://president.unt.edu/staff-appreciation-awards/diversity-award.
- Must be a staff member in a UNT retirement-eligible position for at least 6 consecutive months.
- Staff member must hold a position lower than the level of Vice President/President.
- No formal disciplinary action within 12 months prior to the nomination date.
- Has a 'good' performance rating (no less than 2.5) on most recent performance evaluation.
- May not have received the award within the previous 3 years.
- Demonstrated a commitment to promoting diversity, inclusion, equity, and access.
- Placed special emphasis on underrepresented groups to include, but not limited to, race or nationality, gender, LGBTA, culture, learning or physically challenged, belief, socioeconomic status, and more.
- Created and/or promoted training, education, outreach, leadership, and/or program opportunities to foster a diverse and inclusive environment.
- Raised awareness or improved services that promote diversity, directly benefiting faculty, staff, or students.
- Nominated by any UNT employee or student. Staff, faculty, students, peers, supervisors and external customers may nominate.
- Approved by the direct supervisor and department head/Dean, Vice President or President (where applicable).
- Eligibility verified by Human Resources.
- All nominations reviewed by the Staff Awards and Recognition Committee and top 10 recommendations are submitted to the President.
- Final recipient selections made by President.
Examples could include:
- Employee collaborates with others across different areas to ensure a department with a high number of Spanish speaking employees receives work related information in Spanish.
- Sponsors a student organization centered on underrepresented groups. Actively works with the group on various activities and helps increase awareness, educate others and increases inclusion. Mentors others.
- Employee makes significant efforts to assist University members impacted by the DACA ruling.